27 September 2009

Getting the Call ( actually it was an email)

September 4, 2009 started our adventure as a Foreign Service family. I was granted security clearance after eight excruciating months of investigation and a few days later was placed on the register for eligible hires. My offer came immediately, as the State Department is currently in a hiring phase. From start to finish, the whole process took a little more than fourteen months. My chosen specialization is in the Consular Track. I start October 26th.

Our little family includes my husband (Dave), son, Aidan (20 months), and our two dogs, Jack (chocolate lab) and Neuf (beagle). I suppose managing a small child and two dogs will certainly be challenging. Luckily, my husband Dave is up for the adventure, and has supported my ambition to join the State Department every step of the way.

Right now what lies ahead for us remains a bit of a cloud. About a week ago we received a packet of complex paperwork and a guide to our move that the State Department produces (It's Your Move). Although things seem straightforward, I think every FSO-to-be finds themselves flooded with small questions/issues that are only solved with time and trial-and-error.

And therein lies the purpose of this blog. I mean it to be as informational as possible for people interested in the Foreign Service, as well as a way to update family and friends on our progress. We have to wait until October 1, the start of the fiscal year, before we can get our "pack-out" arranged. In the mean time we are opening new accounts, selecting health plans, throwing things out, and giving things away. We'll see what comes next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, a blog! I can't wait to read about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

I was recently placed on the Consular Affairs Register and am scared I'll age out and have to start all over in 18 months. Would you mind sharing your Oral Assessment score and your ranking on the register when you got "The Call"? Thanks!